rustic day-old bread(diced small)
white balsamic vinegar
red onion diced small
ripe baby tomatoes (1/2 washed)
fresh sweet basil leaves (washed)
fresh arugula (washed)
virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
Fresh black pepper to taste
1. Place the bread in a large mixing bowl, drizzle with vinegar and toss. Set aside.
2. Peel the red onion and dice it into small pieces.
3. For the fennel, peel away the harder layer first and second layer then cut lengthwise into quarters.
4. To slice the fennel, hold the quartered fennel bulbs lengthwise and run them across a mandolin on a very thin setting (or slice super thin with a sharp knife). Place the sliced fennel into water for holding.
To assemble the salad:
1. Drain all the water from the fennel. Using the same mixing bowl with the seasoned bread, add the fennel, tomatoes, red onions, basil leaves, arugula leaves and virgin olive oil; and season with salt and fresh black pepper.
2. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Place on individual plates or serve on a large serving platter.